Thursday, February 19, 2009

England v America

Once you have spent enough time in another country the whole "o my goodness this is WAY better than American haze wears off" I still cannot decide which one wins as there are pros and cons to living in each country so I will continue to make some more.

Things I really like about America: 1. the geography, I saw some pictures of someone sailing on a lake and it was so sunny and blue and green, I have seen many beautiful things in England (the lake district is really nice) but it is still very different to America. I don't think tubing down a river in England would have exactly the same feel to it. 2. the "doc in the box" I currently have had a narsty cold for about a week, if I were in america I would not bother to call my doctor, I would simply drive to the patient first or whatever medical chain down the road at a time convenient for me and be in and out in about an hour. I have been told there is something kind of similar in England but I have yet to find it- here you call your GP and wait about a week to be seen (probably at a time that doesn't really work for you). I suppose it deters people from going to the doctor for useless reasons but I probably have a sinus infection and will just stay sick longer to avoid the hassle. 3. America's view on junk food, all nations have unhealthy habits, end of story, in England they have a store called iceland which serves up nothing but frozen food (and bread and milk). At least in America we don't judge. I am sorry, sometimes I want a cookie or processed cheese, doesn't mean I am going to die at 30- in fact at my last physical I passed all my tests with flying colors. For some reason over here people still judge me and my habits like they are superior. Life is already stressful enough without being judged for wanting a cookie every now and then. O ps England you created fish and chips so really... back off.

Things I really like about England: 1. there seems to be a creepy amount of patience and willingness to lie down and take it in England that is kind of nice. Today everyone was sitting on the tube waiting for it to go and it never did, in America there would be a lot of yelling and swearing and people demanding things, but everyone just carried on with the conversations (well minus one crazy guy who was not happy) and went to plan B. I felt a lot less stressed not having everyone else around me stressed as well. 2. Pubs - if you have a proper local to go to it is pretty nice, in America it is difficult to just go to the bar for a drink or two but in England you can have a mellow night of drinking and socializing, it is like the American version of the coffee house. 3. Trains, I really like them and really like riding them, it is an easy way to get around (well when they are running) and you can sit and read or look at the country side. Totally love them.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I agree about the trains - they were so nice for getting around. One of my fav memories is when I sat across from this adorable kid and his dad when they were coming back from a cricket match. The little boy kept asking to play when they got home and the dad kept saying it was too late and he needed to go to bed. Finally the kid looks at him and was like, "[insert adorable English accent here] Can I just hold the ball, Daddy?" :)

PS I have a new blog and I am shamelessly suggesting that you might like to follow it. Love ya doll!