Sunday, July 20, 2008

A home to call my own

Saturday ended a most exhausted tryst across the pond to most of southern Ireland and a few days in London with the Hixon men. Early Saturday morning they checked out and I grabbed a cab with the boy eager/ dreading moving into my very own "apartment" ( I use ".." because it is a plot of studio apts that mostly tourist rent out for a week at a time or so). After the cab driver could not find the place, he serendipitously dropped us off right outside what turned out to be the gate. (This is pro number one the site has a security gate and a security guard). After convincing the letting office I had permission to check in early (I did) they gave us the keys to what seemed like a very nice building. Dont judge a book by its cover. I would say that the room I am paying nearly 1,000 american dollars (that is 500 quid for those of you on this side of the pond), is a little bigger than a college dorm room. I say little bigger but a college dorm room does not have a kitchen or bathroom taking up most of the space. While the place is very well equipped (pro two)--> washing machine, dish washer, microwave, tv, internet, every cooking utensil you can think of (minus an oven so why the tools I dont know). It is very small, tiny closet and bathroom sink so small that you can't actually wash your face in it. In fact the shower is so small you must place your things on the toilet lid and open the door and reach out to get them!

Once the boy and I realized that my clothes could not all possibly fit in the closet (I actually have all of my jeans in one kitchen cabinet and all of my beauty/bath products in another) We went out on the hunt for storage boxes we could maybe slide under the bed (which is so low to the ground not much can be stored there anyway- think cot from camp). After tirelessly searching Oxford and Regent street (no target in the UK). We found a cardboard storage box for 14 pounds (reads nearly 30 american dollars). We lugged that along with a new pair of shoes (addiction) and my new hair dryer and straightener to the pub to meet up with an absolutely fabulous friend-- who I once again profusely apologize for being late and being so confusing to find (long day) and eventually made it back "home". Luckily once we got home we were able to get in (one reason I blanked on what time to meet our wonderful friend was while searching for storage bits we realized when we checked in the office had never given us the gate code, and was since closed meaning we weren't sure how to get in)

We ate dinner at a really good Italian restaurant right on the tower bridge where I spoke to the waiters in Italian and then semi helped a French family communicate with them.

Today was simply full of more errands including mapping out how to get to work (it is a bit of a walk but faster and less crowded than the tube).

Tomorrow I begin work in the Gherkin, I am very nervous (partly because I am afraid I am going to get lost and delayed getting there) and partly because I have no idea what is in store for me.

Wish me luck!

x
Hixi

2 comments:

lisa p said...

a ha! i found your blog. it has been flagged... now i can keep tabs on all the trouble you're creating over there.

missss you!

i hope work went well today

hixi said...

Really only created the blog for you anyway :)