Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A new breed of people... orange people

British people are pale. End of story. They see the sun about five times a year and it is a very weak sun (I have yet to get burned in the UK only on Jersey Island which is close enough to France that it doesn't count). Anyway perhaps because I had never lived in a country of whiteness I just may not have noticed that there is a new breed of people before. Orange people. Now before I continue I will admit I have hopped into a tanning bed three times in my life, and I do use a lotion with tint about three times a week. I am not talking about the people who by using moderation, add a little color to their skin, I am talking full on orange people. Everyone knows an orange person, they either go to the tanning bed on an all too regular basis (and later in life will form yet another new breed of people- leather people) or they just haven't learned how to properly apply tan in a can. I actually know someone who does such a bad job applying tan in a can that her face has brown pores now. I don't know who these people think they are fooling as no one looks good orange but they just keep doing it. Now in America because 95% of the population is tan to some degree I just may not have noticed this new breed as easily. However here in a country where people embrace having healthy skin, the self conscious, American wannabes (who sometimes are American) stand out like a sore thumb. You are walking down the street and in a sea of white there it is BAM orange lady (or sometimes man). Needless to say, surrounded by all these pale people, orange people look even more hilarious and unnatural than normal.

Anyone else noticed this lately?

No comments: