Friday, May 22, 2009

Tourists will always loose a game of chicken with a runner

Running USED to be my sanctuary. It always made me feel better and less angry... then I moved to London. I happen to be very luck to live in one of the most beautiful areas of London- it also happens to be home to the famed tower bridge, golden hide (ship) and the Queen's walk among other things meaning that from 9:45am to 9pm it is packed with tourists. For anyone who happens to be a local in a tourist hot spot you will appreciate. Good people seem to loose all sense of decency when they become a tourist, they walk four abreast down a narrow road, stop mid-walk to gawk at something, fail to walk in a straight line. All of this makes it terribly difficult for a runner. I would normally simply submit and use a treadmill but I am training for a marathon meaning I need to run outside to get the proper training. Furthermore I think it is a bit silly to take a twenty minute tube ride to find a bit of greenery to run in meaning I must run along this tourist packed river walk. It is my neighborhood I can run where I want to! Needless to say constantly having to dodge tourists who started out on one side of the sidewalk only to drift to your side can be a bit annoying. Aside from the constant weaving you have those walking four abreast acting as a road block that you cannot get around. My person fav is the people who have one person posed for a picture on one side of an enormous sidewalk and then the person with the sidewalk all the way on the other (meaning anyone who needs any bit of the sidewalk risks going through their photo). They always seem sooo annoyed when I run right through as if they actually expect me to stop in deference to their hogging of a significant piece of property and jog in place while they get the set up just right and take the picture. Dear tourists- if I stopped for any of your pictures my thirty minute run would take two hours! It is not going to happen. Needless to say putting so much effort into getting from point A to B and back is way more stress than one needs on their run. As a result I have become a cranky lady when I run. This means I will brush against people in an effort to get by, glare, run through photos and on one occasion where a tourist turned around-saw me coming- and continued to amble in my way- swear under my breath. Needless to say tourists you will loose a game of chicken with me when I am running because I want to get my run in and you are in my way- sorry.

No comments: